Maria Lewis Memorial Bursary
Email bursary questions to the Ballet Chair. (Contact Us)
The CDTA BC Branch is very fortunate to have a legacy from Maria Lewis. The $500.00 Maria Lewis Memorial Bursary is awarded annually to a Senior Ballet student.
About Maria Lewis
A beloved Vancouver-born dancer/teacher, Maria Lewis had a notable career with the National Ballet of Canada, the Montreal Ballet, and on various television shows. On her return to Vancouver, she established the Maria Lewis Ballet Ensemble in 1969. She took over Ballet Horizons and established a new company named Pacific Ballet Theatre. The company grew to semi professional regional status. Her Pacific Ballet Theatre became known as Ballet British Columbia in 1985.
To qualify, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- be 18 years of age or younger,
- be taking a minimum of two ballet lesson a week, and
- have received “highly commended” or “honours” for the Grade Four CDTA ballet examinations (or equivalent).
To be considered for this bursary, please submit the following information:
- Home Phone Number
- Cell Phone Number
- Dance History: Submit on separate sheet of paper with above information.
- Two letters of recommendation: One letter must be from a CDTA, BC Branch member.
- Information regarding extra study is most welcome.
Mail to: Alison Cowan, 4523 Montrose St. Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1M8