Volume 3 | DECEMBER 2018
CANADIAN DANCE TEACHERS ASSOCIATION, British Columbia Branch
Sending you warm thoughts and best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Holiday and Happy New Year. May peace, love and prosperity follow you always!
With so much to celebrate in the new year, we are very excited to announce the 2019 CDTA BC BRANCH 70th Anniversary Event.
2019 will be CDTA’s 70th Anniversary and as one of the two founding Branches, BC will be spending the year celebrating! Here are a just a few of the planned events here in BC and in conjunction with the National Board of CDTA.
BC Branch’s History is being documented. The information from the Storage Locker is being reviewed. If you have historical information of any kind, please contact one of us: 1949 to 2019.
Calendar of Events:
• January 1st 2019 – Day 1 of invitation to lapsed members to return to CDTA. Join us in the celebrations!
• Early Jan – Official announcement of the availability of Ballet Scholarships for students of those in the Ballet Division through the generous legacy left by Maria Lewis – watch for details.
• Jan TBA – A Ballroom workshop in Victoria with Glen Brennan, Australia
• Jan 26 – Launch of the Argentine Tango Pin Program from the Ballroom Division
• Feb/Mar TBA – Technical workshop and Pin Program in Victoria and possibly Vancouver
• Feb 28 – Annual CDTA Scholarship Application deadline
• Mar 1 – Deadline for electronic videos files to be submitted for the BC Branch Qualifier Competition to the National event – watch for details.
• Mar 31 – Final day of reinstatement invitation for members who have let their membership lapse! And announcement of the finalists to the live portion of the BC Qualifier Competition!
• May 3-4 – Live portion of the BC Qualifier Competition for the National event in SK
• July 11-14 – National Convention and Competition in Regina, SK
• Sep 1 – Will be the launch of updates to the Ballet, Jazz, and Tap Student Syllabus, so expect workshops over the summer.
• Oct 6 – AGM with Reception to follow including performances by the Qualifier Competition Winners and Honorable Mentions. The AGM will include certificate presentations to those receiving Teacher Qualification Upgrades due to the changes to the Student Exam format in Stage and Ballet and to our new Life Members. Another update to the Bylaws will be proposed during the AGM, including changes to the membership levels from National. Also, possible changes to the AGM format and Executive Board. Please note this is an election year. Become involved in your Association.
• Nov 3 – Annual Master Classes at Shadbolt Centre, Burnaby BC
• TBA – We will also be introducing the sale of commemorative CDTA clothing and items.
A reminder to our members that MEMBERSHIP DUES for 2019 are now due. Your renewal membership form will be arriving to you this month.
Please remember that the bylaws require that membership must be renewed annually, on or before January 31. If membership dues have not been received by January 31, the member will not be a Member in Good Standing and will not be entitled to the benefits of membership. Your annual membership notice will be arriving shortly.
Please notify the Membership Secretary of any changes to address, phone number or email promptly to assist in maintaining a current membership list.
The CDTA BC Branch is a registered Society offering a wide range of certification programs for professional dance teachers and student examination programs in many disciplines.
The Disciplines offered are:
• Stage including Tap, Acro and Jazz
• Ballroom – International and American Styles, and
• Specialty Dances – Argentine tango, Salsa and West Coast Swing
The website has a section for each Division of the Branch. It contains information on becoming a member and on student examination services provided to members.
There are many reasons to join the CDTA
• Accreditation in represented dance disciplines
• Insurance for members and family – Commercial Coverage and Group Health/Dental/Disabilty
• Networking with other dance professionals in various disciplines
• Listing in the Members Directory
• Being part of a National dance community with branches across Canada
• Be involved in creating and maintaining dance standards and syllabi and a variety of exciting initiatives to further the presence of the art of dance in the community.
• Access to members-only pages, documents and discussion forums on cdtabc.com
2019 Exam Dates
Ballroom and Specialty Dances Division
The following dates have been adopted as “SET” dates for CDTA Medal Tests and Professional Examinations.
Candidates for Medal Tests and Pro Exams, please contact a CDTA-accredited teacher to book your tests/exams with the Exam Secretary.
Independent teachers can invite their students to participate and prepare for the Medal Tests.
Professional Examinations can be booked on the dates shown below.
Medal Test Dates
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island
Professional Exam Dates
Lower MainlandVancouver Island
Exams must be booked 6 weeks prior to these dates and fees must be paid 3 weeks prior to Examination Dates. Proposed dates may be changed without notice.
You may also set your own “Special Date” any time to suit your needs, for Medal Tests there must be a minimum of $300.00 and for a Special Professional Examination there is an additional $100.00 fee. ( * see Examination Fees regular and special.)
All applications for examinations should be sent to:
Bobbi Lusic, Examination Secretary
15085 91 Avenue
Surrey BC V3R1B6
DANCE AND BE SEEN!
70TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION!
NATIONAL DANCE CONVENTION
Competitions, classes and events for students and teachers.
Come Dance with us!
July 11 – 14th, 2019
Sponsored by the Canadian Dance Teachers’ Association National
Visit our Website for additional information!
Hotel information for you to distribute to your Branches.
Delta Hotels Regina
1919 Saskatchewan Drive, Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 4H2
$139.00 per night
Book online at Mattiott.com
Or Phone 1-800-209-3555 or (306) 525-5255
Be sure to mention: Canadian Dance Teachers Association
CDTA | BC Branch | email@example.com